Home The river Booking & Pricing Membership About us Rules Gallery Contact us Log in

About us

The Thurso Angling Association was formed at a public meeting in the Pentland Hotel on the 27th of November 1958.

The lower part of the Thurso River from Geise Stream to the mouth of the river was gifted to the people of Thurso and in January of 1959, the executive committee was confirmed and the details of leasing agreed.

In 1966 the estate terminated the lease and retained ownership of the beat; however, the Thurso Angling Association was permitted access to Beat 1, and members paid for fishing it on a daily basis. This system has continued to the present day with some changes to form sub-beats and modify fishing periods.

In January 2006, Thurso Fisheries Ltd notified the association there would be a change in the way Beat 1 was paid for. Beginning that year, the association would pay rent each season that would be reviewed every five years. From 2006 to the present, the association has set aside those monies collected through membership and fishing permits to pay for various projects and services that have given our members and visitors the best possible angling experiences the association can offer.

From our humble beginnings, the association primarily has provided fishing access to our local anglers and this continues to this day. In recent years, we have seen an increasing interest from visiting anglers and we are very appreciative of their continued support.

From 2010 to 2019, the ten-year average of fish caught was 255 with 2010 producing an amazing catch of 457 salmon and grilse.

Roe deer and the occasional red deer have been spotted on the beat along with otters, blue heron, mergansers, and mallard ducks. Recently, the lower beat has become home to a pair of swans and their six cygnets.

The association water is a very nice place to visit not only for anglers but for nature lovers who come to glimpse nature up close.

Enjoy your fishing, abide by the rules and keep our beautiful countryside clean.

Investing in the river

The revenue collected from all angling activities has been instrumental in maintaining an investment pool for the continued upkeep of the beat well into the future. In each of the coming years, monies have been allocated for more bank repairs with maintenance continuing to be an ongoing process of upgrades and improvements. Beginning in 2017, beat maintenance became a priority with the association purchasing a quad bike and flail mower. Now the banks are kept mowed regularly throughout the fishing season.

Bailiffs have been equipped with the latest tools to keep a watchful eye on the beat. Washed out and eroded banks have been repaired along with several weirs. Access roads have been resurfaced, rolled, and parking areas installed.

A new fishing hut was erected on the east side of the river next to Whitefield Pool.  We have installed new benches on the east side of the river at Bleachfield, the High Braes, next to the lower Commissary pool, Geise Stream pool, and another on the west side of the river by Geise Stream Pool.

Most angling associations do not provide the kind of facilities that we offer for our local and visiting anglers.


Our committee

ChairmanJamie McCarthy

Vice ChairmanAlly Webster

SecretaryStan Ogrodnik
TreasurerNorman Arrowsmith
River SuperintendentEddie McCarthy